When Instagram CEO Adam Mosseri announced this year that the app was no longer a “square photo-sharing app,” he was really just stating the obvious: one look at this year’s Instagram statistics shows just how far it’s come from its humble beginnings.
Instagram’s user base, business features, algorithms, and technological capabilities have all evolved over the last decade or so. So, as you plan your Instagram marketing strategy for 2022, it’s critical to stay up to date on all things Instagram. To ensure you’re working with accurate data, we’ve compiled a list of the most important Instagram stats you should be aware of this year.
One in every two users now uses Instagram to discover new brands, and more than 91 percent of them engage with brand videos on a weekly basis. This demonstrates the significant change in Instagram’s user behaviour, algorithm, and business features over the last decade, making it one of the most important platforms to leverage for brand and business growth. In fact, InVideo heavily relies on its Instagram channel to reach out to newer audience groups and strengthen ties with existing ones.
So, to assist you, we’ve compiled a list of the most recent Instagram statistics that you should be aware of as you plan your 2022 Instagram marketing strategy. And if you’re already using the platform but want to ramp up your video content to scale your growth, sign up for a free account on InVideo to gain access to thousands of Instagram video templates, over 8 million stock assets, and a powerful online editor to help you achieve your goals. While you’re at it, check out the InVideo Instagram channel for helpful tips and tricks that will make the process of creating videos for your business even easier.
Here’s what we’ll talk about:
Instagram User Statistics
- – There are over 2 billion monthly Instagram users in the world (CNBC).
- – Instagram is the 4th-most-used social media platform in the world (DataReportal).
- – Instagram’s global monthly users has increased by over 2,200% since 2013 (CNBC).
- – 87% of all Instagram users live outside of the United States (Omnicore).
- – India has the most Instagram users with 201.1 million (Statista).
- – The U.S. has the 2nd-highest number of Instagram users with 157.1 million (Statista).
- – 57.9% of Instagram users in the United States in 2021 were female (Statista).
- – 71% of global Instagram users are under the age of 35 (Statista).
- – 31.9% of U.S. Instagram users (52.92 million) are 25-34 years old, 22.8% (37.82 million) are 18-24, and 19% (31.52 million) are 35-44 (NapoleonCat).
- – Nearly 6 million Instagram users in the U.S. are over the age of 65 (NapoleonCat).
- – 45% of Instagram users live in an urban area (Pew Research).
- – 31% of U.S. adults aged 18-34 have a “highly favorable” opinion of Instagram according to the 2021 Morning Consult poll of 2,200 adults. Adults aged 35-44 polled at 23%, 45-64 at 15%, and 65+ at 4% (Morning Consult).
Top Instagram Statistics
– Over 1 billion people use Instagram every month—that’s more than any other social media platform besides Facebook (Hootsuite).
– More than 500 million Instagram accounts use Instagram Stories every day (Hootsuite).
– 200 million Instagram users visit a business profile at least once per day. (Hootsuite).
– More than 130 million users tap an Instagram Shopping post every month (Hootsuite).
– Over half of Instagram accounts use the Explore page to discover new content (Hootsuite).
– 81% of people surveyed say they turn to Instagram to discover new products and purchases (Hootsuite).
– 47% of Millennials in a recent survey say they use Instagram as a messaging app (Neal Schaffer).
– 33% of B2B companies are now using Instagram (Foundation).
– Brands posting stores on Instagram have an 85% completion rate, meaning the majority of viewers watch their stores until the end (SM Perth).
– 60% of brands use an interactive element on Instagram every week. Interactive elements include stickers, mentions, and music (SM Perth).
– The top 50 Instagram influencers have over 3.1 billion combined followers (Social Blade).
Instagram Post Statistics
– Over 50 billion photos have been uploaded to Instagram (Spokesman).
– 1,074 photos are uploaded to Instagram every second (Omnicore).
– Images account for 68% of all Instagram feed posts (Quintly).
– 39% of U.S. Instagram users browse their feed at least once per month (eMarketer).
– 29% of U.S. Instagram users post to their feed at least once per month (eMarketer).
– Central Park is the most Instagrammed tourist attraction in the world with over 6 million posts (Winfields).
– Carousel posts see the highest average global engagement with 1.08%. Photo posts have an 0.81% average engagement, and video posts have an 0.61% average engagement (Statista).
– Photos with faces get 38% more likes than photos without faces (Omnicore).
– The most-liked Instagram post was by @world_record_egg, which received over 56 million likes (WordStream).
– The median number of comments on image posts is 5.76 (Social Insider).
– Clarendon is the most popular Instagram filter (Backlight).
– 48% of Instagram posts use emojis in the caption (Statista).
– 36% of Instagram posts use over 300 characters in the caption (Quintly).
– #Love is the most popular hashtag on Instagram, being used over 1.7 billions times (SM Perth).
– The average Instagram post contains 10.7 hashtags (HubSpot).
– Brands, however, use less than that, averaging between 3 and 9 hashtags per post (SM Perth).
– 7 out of 10 hashtags are branded (Omnicore).
– Posts with 1, 2 or zero hashtags actually perform the best on average (Mention).
– Over one-third of Instagram posts use 1-3 hashtags (Quintly).
– Instagram now has more formats for video posts than static posts – namely feed videos, Reels, Stories, Lives, and IGTVs.
– 70% of marketers are looking to increase ad spend in video (Growthoid)
Instagram Usage & Engagement Statistics
– 24% of all mobile internet users access Instagram at least once per month (Backlinko).
– The average American Instagram user spends 29 minutes per day on the platform (Backlinko).
– Americans aged 18-25 spend an average of 5.5 hours per week on Instagram (Measure Protocol).
– Children aged 4-15 in the U.K. spend an average of 40 minutes per day on Instagram (Qustodio).
– The average engagement rate (likes and comments divided by the number of account followers) for an Instagram post is 5.86%. The average number of engagements for an Instagram post is 460.6 (HubSpot).
– Instagram posts that are location tagged get 79% more engagement than posts that don’t (HubSpot).
– The posting time with the highest global engagement is between 11:00am and 2:00pm CDT (HubSpot).
– The average business Instagram post engagement rate across all industries is 0.67% (RivalIQ).
– Higher Ed brands have the highest average engagement—3.19%—rate among all brand categories (RivalIQ).
– Instagram video posts are more than 2 times more likely to generate engagement than image posts (Mention). This means that if you haven’t yet, you need to hop on the video bandwagon for your brand’s Instagram presence. Thankfully this is very easy to do with an intuitive video editor like InVideo.
Instagram Reels Statistics
– Instagram Reels offer 8% more screen real estate than TikTok videos (Conviva).
– 87% of Gen Z agrees that Instagram Reels and TikTok are “basically the same thing” (SM Perth).
– Instagram Reels debuted in Brazil and is now available in over 50 counties, including the United States (Later).
– Instagram Reels videos can be up to 60 seconds in length (Instagram).
– Instagram Reels leads all other short-form video apps in average engagement, with global users spending an average of 53 minutes per session (MediaKix).
Instagram Video Statistics
– Video posts make up 14.9% of all content on Instagram (Social Pilot).
– Users spend 80% more time watching Instagram videos today than they did in 2017 (Growthoid).
– Instagram video posts are more than 2x more likely to generate engagement than image posts (Mention).
– Overall, video posts get 38% more engagement than image posts (Kicksta).
– The median number of comments on Instagram video posts is 11.1 (SocialInsider).
– 58% of marketers use Instagram videos, according to a 2020 survey of worldwide marketing professionals (Wyzowl).
– Sponsored video posts get 3 times as many comments as sponsored image posts (Impact).
Instagram Live Statistics
– Instagram Live is the 3rd-most used platform for livestream e-commerce, after YouTube and Facebook (RetailTouchPoints).
– 45% of Indian internet users report frequently watching influencer livestreams. This compares to 29% of Chinese, 23% of Brazilian, and 17% of American internet users (LabsNews).
– 43% of Americans aged 18-34 use Instagram Live (Statista).
– 80% of users say they’d rather see a live video from a brand than read a brand’s blog . 82% of users say they prefer seeing live video from a brand than other social posts (AdSpresso).